Gloucester City was originally named Fort Nassau. The fort, located along the Delaware River, was first settled by the Dutch in 1623. The settlement was an ideal port location along the shores of the river used for travel and transportation. The city became the county seat of old Gloucester County for over 100 years. Once the county vacated the city, it transformed to an industrial hub along the riverfront. The birth of industry caused the need for development of housing and businesses catering to local and visiting patrons. Gloucester evolved from a small fishing community to a bustling city, which was incorporated in 1868. Today, Gloucester City is a global port city along the banks of the Delaware River.